Position: Assistant lecturer
Joseph Muchiri Githiria completed Bachelor of Science in Mining and Mineral Processing Engineering and then later did Masters of Engineering Science-Mining in Curtin University (Western Australia School of Mines) and has great interest to do his PhD studies to enable him grow his expertise for research in the field. He is motivated by the need to fill the gap in expertise in Kenya in this field.
During his studies in JKUAT he did two vacation periods upon completion of his studies as an intern at Bamburi Cement Company Limited (Lafarge group) in the Production department.
MEngSc. Mining engineering, Curtin University-WA School of Mines, Australia
- The research project based on Mine planning under the topic: “Cut-off grade optimisation to maximise the net present value using Lane’s approach in Whittle 4X”.
Bsc. Mining and Mineral Processing Engineering, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Kenya
- Research project on: “Application of sub-level stoping for Kilimapesa gold mine in Western Kenya region”.
- Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM)
- September 2013 to date – Assistant lecturer, Department of Mining and Mineral Processing Engineering, Taita Taveta University College, Voi Kenya
- Mine planning(Production scheduling, cut-off grade optimisation and feasibility studies)
- Surface mine design
- Competent in relevant mining software e.g. Whittle 4X, Ventism, JKSimBlast
Introduction to mine development, and Mine planning (Surface and Underground)
Cut-off grade optimization, production scheduling of open pit and underground mining, and mine planning and design with the aid of computer and operations research applications.